Wednesday, December 31, 2008

My many looks of cancer -- some good, some not so good...



I am mid-way through my last week of treatment. Well, I learned I have two more boosts of chemo after this week. So, I will officially end my treatments on Jan 13th. There is light at the end of the tunnel and a cruise in my future from New Orleans where we will visit cities in Belize, Mexico, and Guatemala. I am excited and I shall enjoy myself thoroughly.

I feel bloated. My hands are a bit swollen and the pigmentation is darker in my hands. My self perception is changing a bit. I hope its not changing my husband's perception of me. I'm mildly tired and nauseous -- all side affects of the chemo.

I have always thought I had lots to be thankful for, but I realize more and more I have an abundance of things and people to be thankful for.

  • I am thankful that I'm dealing with cancer in a singular sense and not multiple illnesses that many of the patients I see in chemo like: Parkinson's disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and the list goes one.
  • I am thankful that my treatment's full duration will be 8 weeks total and not a year plus time which many, many patients endure.
  • I am thankful that I have maintained my strength and my ability to drive myself to and from my treatments -- a luxury for most.
  • I am thankful that in the midst of all "this" I can brighten someone else's day or uplift their spirits by being positive or offering a smile.
  • I am thankful for the new friends I have made and the stronger bonds of past friendships.
  • I am thankful for excellent and advanced medical care and the medical staff that executes.
  • I am most thankful for the outpouring of support, compassion and love I have felt during this journey of recovery. Thank you...

No comments: