Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Round Two - Done

I have completed Cycle 2 of my BEP chemotheraphy. Thank goodness. Round 2 kicked my butt. The last day of treatment, I was dragging and I was in bed or the sofa for a three days afterwards until my I started to regain my strength.

This time around, I was forced to use my nausea medication more often to keep from throwing up. I have not taken it the past four days.

Food is important. The first round of chemo I craved carbs -- potatoes and sandwiches. The second round I craved salads and fruit. I also eat a reasonable amount of liverwurst and other iron rich food to help offset my blood counts. I also drink natural energy drinks.

While doing cycle 2, I had a difficult time drinking water because it made me nauseous immediately. Water is important to keep your body flushed and helps it return to its "normal" state faster. So, I tried to offset with lots of ginger ale and juices. Orange juice has become one of my staples.

My skin is very dry. I'm forced to use lots of lotion and cream.

I have lost about 10lbs from the chemo and a total of 20 since having my hysterectomy.

The hair loss was pretty devastating, but I'm getting used to it and the shortened beauty routine. I also toyed with whether or not I'd let Fletcher see me bald or not. I soon realized that hair doesn't matter to him -- Mommy is Mommy... My sister reminded me of when my own mother lost her hair from chemo treatments how it did not phase us has her children... She was still Mom no matter what. I had completely forgotten about that...

I am lucky to have the support of my husband on a daily basis. He is constantly reassuring me and comforting me. While my mother is not here, I feel her presence and her "coaching" me along. He, my mother, and my son inspire me.

So many people have reached out to support me during this time. A Mom's Group that I belong to has set up Dinner Angels where we have meals delivered to our house two times a week until after my treatments are done. My husband was amazed. I wasn't.:-) I have so many people praying for me and my recovery. I FEEL the love and God's care.... Thank you doesn't seem like enough, but I am thankful.

No comments: