Monday, December 8, 2008

Today, I started my second cycle of BEP chemo. I am happy to get it started cuz I am one step closer to the end.

The past two weeks have been pretty good. My strength is good and my energy is decent. My blood levels have been affected. My white cell count was really low and my red blood count is low. I took the Neulasta shot for the white cell count. Also, I have been self supplementing foods and juice drinks things that are high in B-12 which help to rebuild the immunity system. More meat and liverwursts is helping with my red blood count. I believe! My goal is to keep my system as "whole" as possible so that I can continue my treatments and so that I feel well. It is the least I can do for myself.

Last Wednesday, I cut my hair really short cuz it started falling out. Yesterday, I had to shave my head since my hair started coming out in large clumps leaving bald patches. That was a hard one. I'm glad I had already bought my wig and little beanie hats to wear... My husband is so supportive... He keeps telling me -- "its just hair and it'll grow back".... My sister tells me
its getting rid of the old with a vision of what is new to come with my renewed health... I guess she is right... I am still adjusting...

It has been an emotional few weeks for my sisters because all "this" has brought back a lot of the bad memories associated with our mother's cancer, treatments, and her ultimate death. I keep reassuring them that I'm ok and that chemo is a preventative step for me since I am cancer-free based on my scans. It makes me feel badly that they are worried about me. Hopefully, time will make this better for them.

No comments: